Honest Runner

Running keeps me healthy, blogging keeps me honest.
Being vegan lets me sleep at night.

Friday, May 16, 2008

1/2 Marathon or Bust

Well, I'm on my way to training for a 1/2 marathon about 11 weeks from now--about August 14. I don't know what race I'll be running in yet, but it'll be late August or early September. I'm following Marathoning for Mortals 1/2 marathon run program and am at the beginning of my third week (that sounds better than "at the end of my 2nd week"). The training starts out pretty easy, well within what I've already become used to, which is 30 minutes of straight running and 3-mile long runs. I can cover 2.65 miles in 30 minutes!

I have added yoga back into my schedule as my optional cross-training, which I am enjoying very much. Once a week I'm practicing Iyengar yoga with my old yoga teacher and it was like coming back home. In every class I'm facing my tight hamstrings. I was never very loose, but now I'm even tighter, even though I'm stronger than I ever was. Eventually I hope to work up to the 90-minute classes.

Running is now becoming more a part of my routine; I am requiring less effort to get out of the house and start my workout. Now that it's getting hotter (100F today!), running in the evening is almost out of the question. I'm going to bed earlier and getting up earlier -- early enough to run before I go to work! Today I ran at 6am and with any luck I will do so tomorrow.

I'll try to post more frequently, but you can always check my workouts and comments by clicking on the workouts to the left.

No comments: