Honest Runner

Running keeps me healthy, blogging keeps me honest.
Being vegan lets me sleep at night.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Where Have I Been??

Where have I been, indeed! My calendar says that theoretically I am at the end of Week 9 of Team Vegan training...but Life happens and really I am not that far along.

Sedentarism is a hard habit to beat, and as I force myself out the door to do my run it's sometimes the ONLY thing I think about as I plod along.

Let's see...my last post was back in my innocent days of Team Vegan Week 2...aah, the easy runs. Here's what happened after that:

Week 3 - 2/10-17 - kept up with training! Yay me!
Week 4 - 2/18-24 - Nada. Sheer laziness. I spent a lot of time surfing on those evenings.
Week 5 - 2/25-3/2 - kept up with training! Yay me!
Week 6 - 3/3-9 - Nada. Sheer laziness wins out again.
Week 7 - 3/10-3/16 - legitimate Nada - raging sinus infection, some lung congestion , too.
Week 8 - 3/17-23 - Nada. Maybe legitimate - sinus infection still on the mend, but still having sore throat and general nose issues.
Week 9 - 3/24-30 - Panic setting in as I realize race day is almost here...

So, Honest Runner that I am, I must confess that I have not been keeping up with the training program. I can point to a couple of setbacks after my glorious Week 2 runs in the Park. In Week 3, I again tried to run in the park, one time running after work, which I thought was really cool. But when I tried this run-after-work scenario again, the weather was cold and blustery and I started too late. So that particular run was discouraging. I wound up walking most of it AND getting terribly cold while walking back to the office.

The sinus infection was a major bummer. I don't want to whine about it too much, but I'll just say that I'm still trying to get over it. It's not an acute sinus issue anymore, more of a chronic one that makes me feel like I'm operating at only 90% instead of 100%.

Consequently, every workout starts out with a major pep talk, since I feel a little crummy and though I feel much better afterwards, it's still hard to get started. Poor me, I know.

So, where do I stand now? Well, for one, I'm glad that I signed up for only a 10K. I've changed my long run (and race) strategy to 5-minute run/1-minute walk intervals instead of trying to keep a steady pace, since I'm pretty sure that I would fail at that. My run today was a test run, to see if the interval strategy will work, and I think it will. I was able to run 6.44 miles in 1.25 hours. I had to push myself for every minute of running in the last couple of intervals, but I did it! If the conditions at Santa Cruz are not too adverse, I should be able to complete the race.

But I'm worried. Santa Cruz is supposedly a hilly course -- so that might kill me. And if there's any headwind, well, that will poop me out -- there was a stretch on my run today that was straight into a north wind. Those intervals were the hardest to run.

Anyway, that's enough negativity...I accomplished a long run with less than adequate preparation and it didn't kill me!

A part of me wonders: If I had kept up with my blogging through the month of March, maybe I would have better at keeping up with my training...

Nature sightings: On today's run I saw the first western kingbird of the season, some swallows, a dead robin (so sad), a black phoebe, and two of the friendliest yellow labs you could hope to meet. Good stuff!

2 comments:

turtle tracks said...

Hey, surfing counts as a workout! (Jealous!) I'm sorry to year you got sick. Sinus trouble is the worst!!

The whole time I was in Florida and not running, I kept thinking about what a disappointment my running journal must be. Whenever I do run, the prize at the end (aside from feeling accomplished and amazing) is putting it up on blogspot. I'm trying to get my sister to start one as well, hoping maybe it'll keep her inspired to if not keep up with the running, at least keep up with the regular walks.

Jeannie said...

The sinus trouble has finally started to stay goodbye -- I think using a neti pot helped clean the slate in my sinuses so my immune system and just the natural physical processes up in there could go back to work.

I was just re-reading my post about the wildlife sightings - I saw the same birds on my 4/5 run as well. I think it was even the same kingbird, since it was in roughly the same part of the same orchard as the first time.