Honest Runner

Running keeps me healthy, blogging keeps me honest.
Being vegan lets me sleep at night.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Week 7 Day 3

Well, the power went out on Friday. The Chico area had high winds (40-60 miles per hour). The morning started okay -- rainy and windy but within normal bounds. This was at 6:00 am, when my alarm went off. As I lay in bed, contemplating getting up and starting my day (I don't really have to get out of bed till 7:00 am), the wind started to increase and my will to get up decreased even more. By 7:15 am or so the lights were flickering. By 8:00am it was clear that the power was going out for sure. And so they did. And they did not come back on. About 60,000 people in Butte County, California lost power.

Because I do my running on a treadmill, a power failure puts a major crimp in that activity. In skipped my scheduled run on Friday, but tried to run outside on Saturday. The weather was cold and windy, but not raining, so I gave it a try. And I discovered that running on real pavement is really hard! I wasn't able to run the 25 minutes straight that I had hoped to, but I did what I could and called it a day. It was a good inkling of what I'll be up against when I actually run in Santa Cruz!

Note to self: Schedule at least one outside run a week.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Look at you. You're almost done C25k. Have you decided what you wanna do next?

Jeannie said...

I will start training with Marathon Matt and Team Vegan on February 2. I hope to work up to running a 10K in April in this year.

Wish me luck!